понедельник, 17 января 2011 г.

The Musa Qala District Center base


A US Marine from the 1st Battalion, 8th Marines sleeps in a helicopter 
during a flight to Musa Qala District Center base early on January 16, 2011



- can I sit closely to the gunner? I asked.
- damn you, go ahead! Shouted the marine, preparing the helicopter for take off.

     After two failed take offs and landings, one helicopter change 11 hours on the ground in total we finally took off. Our helicopter was carrying a huge tank of water. "Turn right when you go out" I read 50 times during the flight and what did I do! I turned left. In a few seconds I was retreating from the caudal fin. ...finally we reached the destination...



     This base is completely different from the previous one. It is smaller in size the atmosphere among the marines is different, and it less of comfortable, there is less of food, and more bags of sands. We are living in a house which was "built by a Russian". The weather is incredibly cold!
     When I was assigned to Afghanistan, no one told me that it was so cold. I thought that I was going to the south!
       One of the US marines said that we won't freeze, because we are Russian.
       I responded that we just put on a lot of warm clothes.
       It seems to me that only Americans never feel the cold. I know many Americans in Moscow, who wear just t-shirts while I am wearing a sweater.
     The world is really a small place I ran into several people I knew at different events.

      An Afghan man stands on a roof near 

the Musa Qala District Center base on January 16, 2011


A US Marine from the 1st Battalion, 8th Marines stands guard at the Musa Qala 

District Center base as an Afghan kid asks for candies on January 16, 2011
An Afghan boy stands near the Musa Qala District Center base
on January 16, 2011
A cat sits by a house as US Marines from 1st Battalion, 8th Marines speak to each other
at the Musa Qala District Center base on January 16, 2011
A US flag is seen on a fence at the Musa Qala District Center base
on January 16, 2011
Afghan National Police (ANP) soldiers pose during a training session
at Musa Qala District Center base on January 16, 2011
Afghan National Police (ANP) soldier hold their guns during a training session
at the Musa Qala District Center base on January 16, 2011

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий