четверг, 13 января 2011 г.

Second day in Kabul

     I am in military base in Kabul and waiting for permission to go to a Camp Bastion. I think I'll reach my destination in just a couple of days!

     This morning I intended to write about the punctuality of the American military! But I changed my mind. I was told to be at the front gate between 7.15pm and 7.30p.m, where I would be met by an officer and I had to take my things with me. During the day the office found me and asked why I had not been at the front gate. As it turns out they had mixed up the a.m. and p.m. 




I suggested that this confusion could have been avoided if they used to 24 hours clock!
He apologized and said that they sometimes use 24 hours system for flights schedules!


     You would be weighed before boarding a plane! no one cares about your luggage! Lists are compiled on the spot. That's great!

     The size of the base is incredible! It's possible to walk in the center! Anywhere else you have to use transport! There are shops, cafes, administration buildings and tents where everyone waits for their permission to board a plane! 
Everybody have a token with the number of the tent and the code of the door. Inside the tents you can see bunk beds with red Chinese mattresses on which are pictures of golden dragons. Everyone have to wear their personal ID! 
     One thing reminded me of a place from my childhood - Chersonese it was an ancient Greek city where they put large flat stones along the streets to avoid walking on the dirt after the rain! This stones can still be seen today. Local people took this idea and use it in Kabul! They just have changed stones to bags with sand. 

     When I met with my friend in the morning I found out some more facts about Kabul. He invited me to have a dinner in his place. We ate a kind of Afghan meal with some expats! After quite a long conversation I thought that living here would be very cheap but in reality it is quite expensive. The cost of living has risen due to the effects of the rise in Afghanistan interest rates. If you are lucky you'll find a room for about 1400$ per month! This price will include a laundry, cleaning, shopping and cooking! This is an average price! A night in a hotel will cost you 130$. More then half of this sum goes on security. If you wont find many people on the street. Photographers are usually the only pedestrians! 
     Later on in day we went to another restaurant! The local people aren't allowed in there! In front of the entrance we saw two guards with large automatic weapons. When we entered the restaurant the security person asked me to follow him to the 'buffer zone' where I was searched. After all this I was finally allowed to go to a bar! 
    There is so much information about Musa Qala! But our photographer said that the place is nothing special! Journalists have written many different reports about this city! One said that Musa Qala is the worst place he has ever seen second only to Baghdad where sometimes 10 cars can explode in a day! So this place is not for pleasure!
You can use Wi-Fi in the base! And most of the Americans watch my favorite TV-series "The big bang theory"
In the toilets you can find antiseptic for your hands! The inscription at the entrance reads "Clean toilets mean a healthy life".
     My guide had been in Kabul just three weeks, before that he had been in the Navy for 17 years and guess what he did in the Navy? He was a photographer! The best job! Now he is a guide for the journalists on the Kabul base. It was forbidden to take a photographs here, so now he was the guide. 

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий